Skip all navigation and jump to content Jump to site navigation
NASA Logo - Goddard Space Flight Center

+ NASA Homepage

    
Goddard Space Flight Center
About MODIS News Data /images2 Science Team Science Team Science Team

   + Home
ABOUT MODIS
MODIS Publications Link
MODIS Presentations Link
MODIS Biographies Link
MODIS Science Team Meetings Link
 

 

 

Laken, B; Palle, E; Miyahara, H (2012). A Decade of the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer: Is a Solar-Cloud Link Detectable?. JOURNAL OF CLIMATE, 25(13), 4430-4440.

Abstract
Based on the results of decadal correlation studies between the International Satellite Cloud Climatology Project detected cloud anomalies and the galactic cosmic ray (GCR) flux, it has been suggested that a relationship exists between solar activity and cloud cover. If valid, such a relationship could have important implications for scientists' understanding of recent climate change. In this work, an analysis of the first decade of Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS)-detected cloud anomalies are presented, and the data at global and local geographical resolutions to total solar irradiance (TSI), OCR variations, and the multivariate El Nino-Southern Oscillation index are compared. The study identities no statistically significant correlations between cloud anomalies and TSI/GCR variations, and concludes that solar-related variability is not a primary driver of monthly to annual MODIS cloud variability. The authors observe a net increase in cloud detected by MODIS over the past decade of similar to 0.58%, arising from a combination of a reduction in high- to midlevel cloud (-0.31%) and an increase in low-level cloud (0.89%); these long-term changes may be largely attributed to ENSO-induced cloud variability.

DOI:
0894-8755

ISSN:
10.1175/JCLI-D-11-00306.1

FirstGov logo Privacy Policy and Important Notices NASA logo

Curator: Brandon Maccherone
NASA Official: Shannell Frazier

NASA Home Page Goddard Space Flight Center Home Page